Ramsgate all Change | Click here to buy the book or look at our other books about Ramsgate and the surrounding area.
Steam played a major part in the development of Ramsgate, prior to 1816 the journey from London to Ramsgate was a difficult and arduous one, either by horse drawn coach or sailing hoy.
In June 1816 the first paddle steamer, The Duke of Argyle, arrived at Margate and by 1826 a regular and reliable service had been established to Ramsgate.
Ramsgate was an ideal destination for wealthy London families that came here for the summer season; initially they rented the houses that had been built for the officers that were stationed here during the Napoleonic wars. However soon the demand for accommodation was such that many fine Georgian and regency houses were built.
On April 13th 1846 Ramsgate was the first of the Thanet towns to be connected to the main Kent railway network, a branch line continued on to Margate opening on December 1st 1846.
Ramsgate's prosperity has been directly related to the time that the journey from London takes and it is hoped that the introduction of the Javelin class trains will considerably reduce this time and herald a new period of prosperity.
The shipyard where the Royal Victoria Pavilion now stands in 1864 in the bottom left of the picture you can see the railway turntable at the end of the Sands Station.
RAMSGATE TOWN STATION TERMINUS OF THE SOUTH EASTERN RAILWAY
Ramsgate's first station at the top of Chatham Street was a plain brick building. There was an engine shed and goods shed. The station opened on the 13th April, 1846, and closed on the 1st July, 1926, when the new Ramsgate Station opened.